A big thanks to all parents and community members who were able to attend our Trimester One Showcase. The students did a wonderful job, and we appreciate your help in supporting all their hard work.
We are entering flu season, and we ask families to be sensitive about sending in their students if he/she is not feeling well. We hope to keep everyone as healthy as we can leading up to our Winter Break.
Please consider having a weekend or over a break pet and have Blizzard the hedgehog come home with you (see sign-up below).
All the best,
Tom and Leah
English Language Arts
- Students begin an essay this week focused around Roberto Clemente or Althea Gibson. Students will focus on how one of these individuals was a changemaker. This essay will be completed before our winter break
- Students will review volume and work on non-traditional shape volumes. Additionally, students will have mini-assessments on these skills.
- We begin our second trimester Expedition, focused around systems.
- Student’s weekly assignments are posted in Google Classroom – ask them to share this with you so you can see it too and support them!
- Annotations and “A Language Passage” worksheet
- HWT: Pages 46-47
- IXL: D.5 & D.6
Trimester Two Read Aloud Book –
Our second trimester read aloud book is Restart, by Gordon Korman. We ask families to get a copy of this for their student by early next week. There are copies at our local libraries, or you can purchase one at this site, here, or any other site you prefer.
Spirit Week 2018 December 3-7
- Monday, December 3: PJ Day
- Tuesday, December 4: Favorite Thing Day (dress like your favorite character or sports team or book, etc)
- Wednesday, December 5: Wacky Wednesday
- Thursday, December 6: Decade Day (Dress like a certain decade of your choice!)
- Friday, December 7: Crew Day (Dress up together with a theme decided by your crew)
Scholastic Book Club Ordering
Any books you wish to order please do so online by using this classroom code: TKV38. We will place orders approximately every two weeks. All orders earn our classroom FREE BOOKS!
5th Grade Overnight Field Experience – Spring 2019
Camp Hanes, April 3-5, 2019
Total Cost: $120.00 per student
2nd Payment: February 1st: $25
Final Payment: March 1st: $45 max (will be decreased based on funds raised!!!)
Blizzard – Class Hedgehog – NEW DATES!!!
Exploris Capital Campaign
It’s Spirit Week at Exploris! A great way to show your school spirit is by making a contribution to the Exploris Capital Campaign! This new building will allow us to expand our local and global reach, while also reducing our environmental footprint. For more information about how your contribution will make a difference, check out this flyer: www.exploris.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Capital-Campaign-Brochure.pdf
To make your donation, visit: www.exploris.org/capital-campaign-giving/.
Stay tuned for a class competition during the month of January! Followed by our wrap up event for this year in February where we Show our Love for Exploris!
If you have any questions about the Capital Campaign, contact Kristi Pettibone at firstname.lastname@example.org
5th Grade Writing Contest –
The Eastern North Carolina Section of the Society of Women Engineers is pleased to announce the 24th annual Great Women in Science and Engineering essay contest for fifth grade students. The goal of this contest is three-fold: to highlight the contributions and achievements of women engineers and scientists, to encourage students to learn more about these women while polishing their researching and writing skills, and to improve the image of the engineering profession as a positive force in our quality of life.
The guidelines for this year’s contest are attached to this email. If you received this email without an attachment, please note that the same information will be available shortly at http://easternnc.swe.org/essay-contest.html.
The last day to submit essays is February 21, 2019. Contest winners will be announced and prizes will be distributed in late April/early May 2019.
This contest is open to all fifth graders (public/charter, private, and home-school). Please note that to be eligible to win, your school must fall within the zip codes in our region. As we feel this is an enriching experience, we do not wish to exclude anyone from participating; therefore, students will receive participation certificates regardless of location.
If you have any questions, please feel contact me at email@example.com.
(more details www.exploris.org)
- Spirit Week – December 3 – 7