We hope this finds everyone well and “rested” after the holiday break. It’s exciting to be back at school and to hear about all the adventures and fun had over our extended break. Please see below for updates on what we are doing.
Also, as a reminder, we are in the midst of the flu season. We ask families to be sensitive about sending in their student if he/she is not feeling well. We hope to keep everyone healthy throughout the winter months.
Tom and Leah
English Language Arts
- Students will begin creative writing, working on guided grammar lessons, and start a keyboarding program.
- We are continuing to read Restart as a shared novel. Your child may benefit from a copy if they do not already have one.
- Students will continue work on fractions and the division of fractions.
- We continue our second trimester Expedition, focused around systems. Students are working in small groups, creating presentations on one of the body systems.
- Student’s weekly assignments are posted in Google Classroom – ask them to share this with you so you can see it too and support them!
- HWT: Pages 50 and 51
- IXL: N.2 & N.4
- Grammar (Khan Academy) and Keyboarding-both will take place during class time
Scholastic Book Club Ordering
Any books you wish to order please do so online by using this classroom code: TKV38. We will place orders approximately every two weeks. All orders earn our classroom FREE BOOKS!
5th Grade Overnight Field Experience – Spring 2019
Camp Hanes, April 3-5, 2019
Total Cost: $120.00 per student
2nd Payment: February 1st: $25
Final Payment: March 1st: $25 max (based on funds raised so far)
Blizzard – Class Hedgehog – NEW DATES!!!
5th Grade Writing Contest –
The Eastern North Carolina Section of the Society of Women Engineers is pleased to announce the 24th annual Great Women in Science and Engineering essay contest for fifth grade students. The goal of this contest is three-fold: to highlight the contributions and achievements of women engineers and scientists, to encourage students to learn more about these women while polishing their researching and writing skills, and to improve the image of the engineering profession as a positive force in our quality of life.
The guidelines for this year’s contest are attached to this email. If you received this email without an attachment, please note that the same information will be available shortly at http://easternnc.swe.org/essay-contest.html.
The last day to submit essays is February 21, 2019. Contest winners will be announced and prizes will be distributed in late April/early May 2019.
This contest is open to all fifth graders (public/charter, private, and home-school). Please note that to be eligible to win, your school must fall within the zip codes in our region. As we feel this is an enriching experience, we do not wish to exclude anyone from participating; therefore, students will receive participation certificates regardless of location.
If you have any questions, please feel contact me at email@example.com.
(more details www.exploris.org)
- MLK Holiday – January 21, 2019