This week is a busy week! We have our Capital Campaign Kick-Off, School Pictures, an optional weekend hike, Conferences, and we are launching into Case Study 3 of our expedition! Help your student stay organized by checking their agendas and asking them how they are doing on their weekly assignments! We look forward to seeing you over this next week!
Thank you so much,
The 4/5 Team (Leah, Annah, Laura, Sonja, Koren)
- Which project did you choose for expedition?
- How is the 40 Book Challenge going for you? How are response forms coming!
- What did you think of the Race Exhibit? Was there anything that surprised you or that you have questions about?
**Note teachers will send home an example copy of response forms electronically this week by grade level! Be on the lookout for this email.
WONDER Advanced Movie Screening – NEXT WEEK!
The ⅘ team has WON an advanced screening of the new movie WONDER for our class, featuring a live Q&A with stars Jacob Tremblay (Auggie), Daveed Diggs (Mr. Browne), and Izabela Vidovic (Via) as they discuss how to #ChooseKind.
Important: We will not return to school next Thursday, 10/26 until 3:45. This is after carpool is over! ⅘ will run our own carpool upon our return from 3:45 – 4:00. Please drive through the carpool line. A teacher will be outside with a walkie talkie and students will be dismissed from classrooms. We hope this doesn’t cause any hardship for families and we appreciate your flexibility.
Screening Date: October 26, 2017 (NEXT WEEK!)
Doors Open: 12:00 p.m.
The screening begins promptly at 12:30 p.m.
Return to school: 3:45 p.m. (After carpool)
Cost: FREE for students and parent drivers
A huge thank you to Lionsgate & the Exploris PTO for covering costs! We are incredibly excited to have the opportunity to view this film before it is released to the public.
Note: Cancel/ Do not order from My Hot Lunch Box on Thursday, 10/26.
The catch: URGENT – We need parent drivers in order to go! PLEASE sign up ASAP using this Sign Up Genius. As a thank you for driving on such short notice we have included the cost of your movie. Please arrive to the school at 11:20 a.m. We will return at 3:45 p.m.
THANK YOU volunteers. We couldn’t do this without you!
5th Grade Updates
- Math: This week we will continue our work in Mission 2. Students should be working through lessons 5-8 on Mission 2 of Zearn! Please help your student by making sure they are on pace to finishing by the end of the week, and at the latest the following Monday!
- Target Time- This Friday, 5th graders will use the cars the designed last week to learn concepts of force and motion. We are using lessons from a CIBL unit! We are excited to have this hands on learning experience with our students to bring science to life.
- Scholastic Weekly News: This will be our third week using Scholastic Weekly News. Remember, students can access Scholastic News via the web.
- To access the website you will need to:
– Visit www.scholastic.com/sn56
– Click “Log In” and select “I am a student.”
– Use your classroom password TES-5th
- Once you are in the website you can:
– Have articles read aloud to you.
– Watch videos that correspond to most of the articles.
– Play games related to the issue.
– Read & watch videos about breaking news stories,
- Please note that we aren’t always reading the most current issue. Sometimes you might have to scroll down to “Recent Issues” towards the bottom of the page in order to find the issue that we are reading together.
4th Grade Updates
- TenMarks: We have been working hard in class to help the students plan out when they will do TenMarks 3 times a week at home. Please help them find the space and time to do this work.
- This week: 1 assessment (completed in class), 2 lessons and a fun Lab called Place Land-ia!
- Move on to Personal Work once the above assignments are complete.
- Studies Weekly: We are completing a Studies Weekly about prehistoric North Carolinians this week. Students are to read the entire paper and have one annotation per article. They should have three “I wonder” statements, and complete the crossword. As they are reading, students should highlight proper nouns to help them with the crossword.
- Writing: Students have begun adapting their interviews into narratives. As they continue this work, students will be influenced by the information from their interviews, and will be asked to reflect on their family’s culture and how it has influenced them.
- Science: We are still exploring different rocks and minerals this week.
- Science Friday: We recognize that this is an area of particular interest for some kids. If your child is especially interested in geology, Science Friday is doing a communal inquiry of “neat rocks” where anyone can share a photo of a “neat rock” they have found and experts will provide you with interesting facts about your submission. Please know this is not a class assignment and participating would be solely extracurricular, this project simply overlaps with what we are studying in class right now and may be a fun way to engage in scientific inquiry with your child. If you are interested in participating, you can find more information here.
Expedition 1 Update
Students are beginning their final case study for this expedition, they started today in their groups to discuss what they will create. The topics are: knee braces, concussions, shoe design, and wheelchair design. If you know of any powerful field experiences or knowledgeable experts, please contact your child’s crew teacher.
It’s nearly time for the first round of conferences. Conferences will be in October. Please remember to be on time to your conference! We look forward to meeting with you over the next week!
- October 16th/17th Annah & Sonja Fall Conferences
- October 18th/19th Laura & Leah Fall Conferences
Don’t forget about our animal friends! Lenny and Blizzard are looking for weekend travel destinations!
Lenny the Guinea-Pig sign-up (Sonja’s & Annah’s Crews ONLY) SIGN UP TO TAKE LENNY HOME HERE
Blizzard the Hedgehog sign-up (Leah’s & Laura’s Crew ONLY) – SIGN UP TO TAKE BLIZZARD HOME HERE!
Overnight Field Experience!
We are excited to share we will be going to Don Lee Environmental Education Center for our overnight field experience in March 2018. We will ask for parent chaperones at a later date. The trip promises engaging and exciting activities centered around ecosystems and the Neuse River! Possible activities: canoeing while studying a pond, seining the Neuse River, salt marsh study, and much much more!
- The trip includes chartered buses to and from Don Lee, 3 meals, and one overnight stay for a total cost of $150.00.
- You may pay the entire amount by winter break, December 15th, or break it into two payments of $75. First payment due by winter break, December 15th, and second payment due by January 19th.
Save The Date: Exploris 20th Anniversary Celebration and Capital Campaign Kick-Off
Join us for a family friendly event at Marbles on October 18 from 6:30-8:00 PM! We will have exhibits and celebrate with our school community our first 20 years! K-5 students will be singing.
Capital Campaign Volunteers Needed!
Do you want to be part of making the new building extra special? We are looking for volunteers to help with the capital campaign. Contact Kristi Pettibone at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re interested.
School Pictures- SEE EMAIL FROM SHANNON WHITE
- Picture day at the elementary school will be THIS Wednesday, October 18th (this is a rescheduled date!).
- Picture day at the middle school will be October 17th (this is a rescheduled date!)
- Make-up picture day is October 23 for both campuses.
Let’s Go For A Hike
Join Annah at Umstead State Park this Saturday, October 21st for a Hike through the woods. Join us at 9:00 AM and for a picnic lunch after! There will be varying distances of hikes 1, 2, or 3 miles and beyond! Hope to see you all there! Meet us in the parking lot at 2100 N Harrison Ave (see map)
WANTED – Recycled materials for the 4-5 Instrument Design Project: 4th and 5th graders will use the Engineering Design Process to create unique instruments from recycled and repurposed materials. We need items from home such as (but not limited to): shoe boxes, Styrofoam boxes, boxes, cardboard tubes, metal grates, plastic bottles, rubber bands, fishing line, duct tape, bottle tops. Please leave on the table in the music space. Thank you! Marg
YEARBOOKS ON SALE: Yearbooks are on sale! Click HERE to purchase your 2017-2018 yearbook.
Do you have pictures from school activities and field trips? We need them!
REPLAY IT APP – Parents and students, can you please download the replay it app to your phones or use the website to submit pictures for yearbook? Thank you!
Scholastic Book Orders
This year, our students will continue to grow as readers. One of the best ways to get your child excited about reading is to let them pick their own books. Scholastic Reading Club is a wonderful place to look for great books at affordable prices. Plus your order will help our classrooms earn FREE books and resources!
- To order online, sign in or register at: scholastic.com/readingclub
- For first-time orders, enter the Class Activation Code: HNMM7
- Orders will be placed every two weeks as long as the total grade level order meets the $25 minimum.
- Please submit your order by Friday, October 28th.
Weekly folders are purple and will come home on Tuesdays. Please go through them on Tuesday nights and return them on Wednesday morning. Read, sign, and return the weekly Reflection Log. Also, we often send home student work that needs to be returned for portfolios. Thank you for reminding your student to bring their folders back right away.
Global Arts Schedule
My Hot Lunchbox
If you would like to order your child’s lunch through My Hot Lunchbox please see the directions linked here: Hot Lunchbox Instructions
Lunch: WASTE FREE
Exploris is a Waste Free Lunch school, which means minimizing trash. Some creative solutions include sending a ziploc for messy food items or transferring yogurt into reusable container with a lid at home to keep lunch-boxes from getting messy. Our goal is to minimize trash. This model aligns with our Green School mission. Thank you for helping with this!
Mark Your Calendar!!
Exploris CALENDAR: Please connect your personal calendar to the Exploris Google Calendar by following the link above!
- October 16/17 Annah & Sonja Fall Conferences
- October 18/19 Laura & Leah Fall Conferences
- October 18- Elementary School Picture Day
- October 18 Exploris Capital Campaign Kick-Off Event at Marbles
- October 21- Let’s Go For A Hike @ Umstead State Park
4th/5th Grade Contacts
Annah Riedel email@example.com
Koren Morgan firstname.lastname@example.org
Leah Ruto email@example.com
Laura Shelton firstname.lastname@example.org
Lori Ellis- Beard email@example.com
Sonja McKay firstname.lastname@example.org
Global Arts Team
Lisa – Movement email@example.com
Marie – Art firstname.lastname@example.org
Marg – Music email@example.com