This Friday, we have a trip planned to a local park designed after ninja warrior courses. We will be culminating our study of forces and motion in the world around us at this park. We will visit Apex Community Park and need parent drivers. Please click HERE to learn more and to sign up to drive and come with us! WE NEED PARENT DRIVERS FOR THIS FUN TRIP TO BECOME A REALITY!
The first payment for our spring field experience is due November 1, 2018. Please feel free to send this in at anytime between now and then. The first installment is $50. You may send in cash or a check made out to The Exploris School. Should you have an issue with this payment, please contact us.
We are very excited to have our first 5th grade bake sale in carpool this Friday afternoon! We need about 10 students who can be in carpool and sell baked goods. Please know that not all students can participate, but we will rotate student participation each month so all who wish are able to participate. Please email Leah, firstname.lastname@example.org, if your child can remain at school until 3:45pm and participate. They can not be picked up during carpool. Thank you!
Bake Sale, please sign up here to share with us what you will be able to bake and send in on Friday! More details in the sign-up. BAKE SALE SIGN-UP
Please make sure all students come to school Tuesday with a healthy breakfast and solid night’s rest. They will be spending much of the morning taking their Math MAP test.
Finally, Tom and his wife, Sandra, are expecting a baby girl in the next two weeks. Tom will be taking three weeks of paternity leave after the arrival of his daughter. We have shared this information with the class. Cheryl Rodgers will be subbing while Tom is away. While we don’t anticipate this to impact our class, we wanted to share this information with you should your student have questions or concerns about Tom’s absence.
All the best,
Leah and Tom
Highlights for this week!
- Tuesday, Picture Day Redo–Tom’s Crew will retake our class photo; we were too awesome the first time around, so they need us to take another one!
- Wednesday, Farmers Market for lunch; this is the last Farmer’s Market until the spring.
- Tuesday, MAP Testing – Math
- Friday, Explorations and our science field experience!
- First BAKE SALE!
English Language Arts
- Students will now have a Scholastic News to read and complete almost every week. These magazines are fantastic and full of current news stories, diagrams, opinion articles and more. They are due each week by Friday.
- Handwriting Without Tears also began in class. This is a workbook your child will use every week to master cursive handwriting and also work on grammar skills. This is due each week by Friday.
- Students have been working on learning to recognize author’s opinion and support this opinion with evidence from text. We will continue this work as we begin to read and study Promises to Keep by Sharon Robinson. Students are discussing how the history of sports in America influence our culture.
- With schedule changes from Florence, picture day and MAP testing, we will be wrapping up our math unit this week. Our next unit will begin fresh after Fall Break.
- Students are studying migration of people and forces at play for Mexican and Irish immigration in the early 20th century.
Scholastic Book Club Ordering
Any books you wish to order please do so online by using this classroom code: TKV38. We will place orders approximately every two weeks.
5th Grade Overnight Field Experience – Spring 2019
Camp Hanes, April 3-5, 2019
Total Cost: $120.00 per student
1st Payment: November 1st: $50
2nd Payment: February 1st: $25
Final Payment: March 1st: $45 max (will be decreased based on funds raised!!!)
Blizzard – Class Hedgehog!
We would love for Blizzard to have a loving home on the weekends. Students have been asking when they can take her home. Please sign up for a weekend to have a home pet!
Upcoming Events (more details www.exploris.org)
- September 25, Board meeting, 4:30 – 6:30pm
- October 1 – 5, Fall Break
- October 11, Parent University: High School Options and Process