We had a great time last week for spirit week with our students! This week is the final week before winter break! We hope that if you are traveling you have safe trips to your destinations and have time to relax and enjoy friends and family!
Please be sure to sign-up for Explorations! Sign-ups are due by tomorrow evening at midnight! See the emails from Marie/Eugene!
All students are beginning an ELA unit which studies the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. We will also be reading aloud Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan. It may be very helpful for your child to have their own copy. They may order it from Scholastic for only $3 or from Amazing for $5. Please consider ordering them their own copy to have when we return from break.
Thank you so much,
The 4/5 Team (Leah, Annah, Laura, Sonja, Koren)
- On Wednesday: What topics did you learn about in expedition? What topic do you think you will choose?
IMPORTANT! Overnight Field Experience!
We are excited to share we will be going to Don Lee Environmental Education Center for our overnight field experience on March 6th and 7th. We will ask for parent chaperones at a later date. THANK YOU TO THOSE WHO HAVE SENT IN YOUR PAYMENT ALREADY!
- The trip includes chartered buses to and from Don Lee, 3 meals, and one overnight stay for a total cost of $150.00.
- You may pay the entire amount by winter break, December 15th, or break it into two payments of $75. First payment due by winter break, December 15th, and second payment due by January 19th.
SCHOLARSHIP: Scholarships for our overnight field experience are available. For more information, please contact Mae or your child’s crew teacher.
Marie in art needs more 20 more packs of sidewalk chalk by December 13th. If you can assist just send it in!
Scholastic Book Orders
Look for the holiday/December book fliers in this Tuesday’s folders. In order for books to arrive before break the next order will be placed on Friday, January 12th
Scholastic Reading Club is a wonderful place to look for great books at affordable prices. Plus your order will help our classrooms earn FREE books and resources!
- To order online, sign in or register at: scholastic.com/readingclub
- For first-time orders, enter the Class Activation Code: HNMM7
- Orders will be placed every two weeks as long as the total grade level order meets the $25 minimum.
- Please submit your order by Friday, January 12th .
Important dates coming up:
- Friday, December 15th: First installment of overnight field trip money due
- Saturday, December 16th – Tuesday, January 2nd: Winter Break
- Wednesday, January 3rd: School Resumes
- Friday, January 12th: Scholastic Orders Due
- Friday, January 19th: 2nd Installment of Don Lee Field Trip Money Due
4th Grade Updates
- 4th Grade – Mathematics: We are assessing addition and subtraction this week. We are beginning our next unit on multiplication.
- TenMarks: Please remember, we are asking students to work in TenMarks at home for approximately 30 minutes three times per week.
- This week: Students have one assessment and one assignment
- 4th Grade – Studies Weekly: This week’s Studies Weekly will focus on The Lost Colony. Students will also be completing a reading response this week to accompany their reading.
- 4th Grade – Vocabulary: This week students will not have new words. We will begin with new words as they relate to Esperanza Rising.
- 4th Grade – Science: We will not be doing science this week, but will begin a new unit after winter break.
5th Grade Updates
- 5th Grade – Math: This week we will continue with Mission 3: Adding and Subtracting Fractions. We will work on identifying equivalent fractions and training students to solve using a variety of models. Annah & Sonja are super excited as fractions are our favorite topic. We will spend all of the second trimester working to build an understanding of fractions and fraction computation.
- Lessons 5-9 of Mission 3 are due on Friday 12/15. If your child is done through lesson 9 they have no homework for math over break; however, if they have not completed lesson 9 they will be expected to complete it over break. Please help your student by checking in on their Zearn progress at home. See your student’s reflection log for updates on Zearn progress. Also, if your child forgets their notebook you can access any print outs through the Zearn online portal.
- A few students have mentioned that they don’t feel like Zearn is saving their progress. Please read the article at this link to learn more about this issue and why students may experience this. Let us know If you continue to have questions.
- 5th Grade – Target Time- This week we will return Target Time assessments via Tuesday folders and ask for parent’s signature. This week 5th grade will begin our study this Friday on Materials and Heat Transfer. This month long study will prepare out students for a unit on Weather and Climate in the spring!
- 5th Grade – ELA This week students will wrap up their opinion writing piece. Teachers will be pulling small groups to help students through the writing process.
- 5th Grade – Scholastic Weekly News: Close reading of Scholastic articles continues. Remember, students can access Scholastic News via the web. Students should see their email for more information about how to access Scholastic News online.
Expedition 2 Update
Last week we launched our second expedition currently called “Redefining Community”. Here is a link to our expedition snapshot, a quick overview of our upcoming work.
Don’t forget about our animal friends! Lenny and Blizzard are looking for weekend travel destinations!
Lenny the Guinea-Pig sign-up (Sonja’s & Annah’s Crews ONLY) Sign Up to Take Lenny Home
Blizzard the Hedgehog sign-up (Leah’s & Laura’s Crew ONLY), more dates will be added next week for after Winter Break! – SIGN UP TO TAKE BLIZZARD HOME HERE!
YEARBOOKS ON SALE: Yearbooks are on sale! Click HERE to purchase your 2017-2018 yearbook.
Do you have pictures from school activities and field trips? We need them!
REPLAY IT APP – Parents and students, can you please download the replay it app to your phones or use the website to submit pictures for yearbook? Thank you!
Global Arts Schedule